2007/12/04

MOSXS 10.4.11 & Xsan 1.4.2

Haven't seen much discussion of this, so here's a "vote":

Just upgraded a three-node Xsan to MOSXS 10.4.11 and Xsan 1.4.2; worked like a champ on all three: dual G4 (800MHz) desktop, dual G5 desktop and dual G5 Xserve. (FWIW: It's attached to four XSRs of widely-varying ages, via a QLogic SANbox 5200.)

The volume stayed online, as designed, the whole time, including four reboots - I missed the 10.4.10 update (required for Xsan 1.4.2) on one of the nodes, so had to install 10.4.11, reboot, then Xsan 1.4.2 and reboot on that one.

Apple changed the specs since the 1.4(.0) release (of Xsan) to exclude G4 desktops, so I'll probably replace it with another G5 desktop/Xserve at some point soon, though I don't see any need for urgency.

5 comments:

Marcantonio Rendino said...

Spoke too soon; it died a horrible death this AM; lost the whole blessed thing in a cvfsck gone wrong. I believe it was just bad luck and timing - though take it as a warning to triple-check your backups.

Jurvis LaSalle said...

:-| I'm on 10.4.8 and 1.4.0 and looking to make this upgrade too. Any words of advice to avoid your fate?

Marcantonio Rendino said...

My advice: Skip 1.4.2. :/

I later rebuilt it from scratch and it was still wiggy; downgraded to 1.4.1 and it's been solid since.

I haven't gone to 2.0 and frankly probably won't - it's been too wild a ride, and my situation doesn't require al the benefits of Xsan; I'll probably tear it down soon and replace with multiple volumes instead.

Marcantonio Rendino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcantonio Rendino said...

BTW: Click on the "Xsan" label/tag below the main post to see my two other Xsan posts; one with my original "back to 1.4.1" post, and the other with LOTS of detailed Xsan recommendations / battle scars.