2007/12/21

ARD Admin "screen sharing available" - and nothing else

Strange ARD Admin behavior recently; some machines starting showing a status of "Screen sharing available" - and that's it; other functions (ex: "Send UNIX command", "Upgrade Client Software", etc.) do not work.

Probably something to do with the new "Screen Sharing" feature standard on Leopard, though I don't know exactly how.

Deleting that node (all occurrences) in ARD Admin, and then re-adding did not work. Nor did running the latest ARD Client upgrade on the target machine. Nor kickstart, nor...

Then I noticed the same machines worked properly from another machine's ARD Admin, so I started looking at its config on mine. Interesting, though no smoking gun.

So I re-ran the installer for ARD Client 3.2.0 (which is actually 3.2.1) and ARD Admin 3.2.0 - all's well again. And I don't have to rebuild all my carefully-crafted lists of machines - nice!

4 comments:

Keith Bradnam said...

I had the same problem. Frustratingly, some - but not all - of our computers were only available for screen sharing. Even though I try to keep each client computer identical. We run a firewall on each client (the default OS X firewall set to "Set access for specific services and applications").

I noticed that the ARDAgent application was appearing in the list of specific applications, but it was set to 'block incoming connections'. Changing this back to 'Allow incoming connections' fixed the problem.

However, one client did not even have ARDAgent in the list, so I had to add it (it lives in/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/), and that worked as well.

Marcantonio Rendino said...

Strange; mine wasn't a firewall issue; no firewalls involved at all.

Makes me wonder if it isn't something wedged that just get un-wedged in different ways.

Anonymous said...

Got the same problem here - realized after a quick search that some users blame the firewall for that issue.

In my case the firewall was configured already correct, but i still have that problem.

any other ideas then reinstalling ARD itself ?

Marcantonio Rendino said...

> any other ideas then reinstalling ARD itself ?

Haven't found any - though reinstalling ARD is a painless process and seems to affect little else (i.e.: seems free of unintended consequences).