2007/12/01

Help! (PX502 and Retrospect)

I've got a Quantum PX502 tape library on Fibre Channel that I'm *attempting* to use with the EMC (formerly Dantz) Retrospect backup application (running under Mac OS X Server 10.4.10) - and it's giving me fits!

It won't complete a backup; each time, Retrospect loses contact with the PX502 before it completes; usually *well* before it completes. At this stage, it's usually an error 205 (from Retrospect) and "Bad reply received" from the PX502.

Quantum has sent NCR techs out to work on it, though it's actually gotten worse since they started. :/

EMC says the detailed SCSI log shows activity they're not familiar with - and they *just* got a PX502 to test (!) -- even though the EMC compatibility DB specifically shows this config as supported. (Quantum's DB also shows this is a supported config.)

Is there *anyone* out there using a PX502 with Retrospect? I'd appreciate *any* feedback at all!

3 comments:

Marcantonio Rendino said...

A few points for Quantum; they sent a replacement unit - though it's so far exhibiting similar symptoms.

So it could well be a software issue; I'm following up with both vendors...

Anonymous said...

I have the same issue; I am using two ADIC LTO-1 loaders. The loader works fine for small files writes 10 tapes without error. As soon, as there are files larger than 2GB; error 205 appears. If I exclude the large file; backup will continue to run for another 3 tapes without error.

What seems to indicate a software issue is the fact that 205 appears always at the exact same file- when using 3 different brand new tapes. Oh yes, so the termination or my drive is bad (says EMC). Only why, can I backup Terra-bytes of small files without issues ?

I am fed up, Time to buy a Windows server.

Marcantonio Rendino said...

EMC has indeed paid more attention to the Windows edition of Retrospect.

And still, the Retro/Mac is just about the best out there, for many of us.

I can say this again since I've been able to get my config working again, by connecting the PX502 directly to the Retrospect CPU; no fibre switch between.

Not exactly what I was looking for, however it does work and it is indeed an improvement on the old config it is replacing; I can work on further improvements after I get my backups and archives back on track. :)