2009/08/31

Snow Leopard upgrade notes

Words of warning for anyone who's customized "under the hood" a little:
  1. The Snow Leopard installer (doing an upgrade) wipes out /var/log/.

    Not only would I have preferred to keep the old logs (historical reference; maybe to compare pre- and post- Snow Leopard), but I also had some custom stuff logging into there (ex: freshclam) that was just gone. And my code was quick-and-dirty so it didn't recover gracefully (ex: to the logs not existing) so I had to do a bit of cleanup.

    No huge deal (this is not-unexpected behavior for /var/) though it is new behavior for the Installer, so I'm adding this to the great Internet KnowledgeBase, so maybe it saves someone else a bit of effort. :)

  2. It seems to have wiped out the /opt/local/mysql symlink to /opt/local/mysql-version_spec; also easily fixed.

  3. MacPorts wouldn't selfupdate for me, so I just reinstalled from the latest disk image (1.8.0 for 10.6). I also installed the new Snow Leopard Xcode Tools (3.2; newer even than the version I downloaded last week!) on the Snow Leopard DVD.
BTW: If you have done some customizing, look for files with these strings added to the name (not just appended): "~previous", "~orig", or (maybe) "disabled". Such as:
  • /etc/syslog.conf~previous
  • /etc/postfix/main.cf~orig
As you may need to bring some customizations back. (Though in both the above cases, I was happy with the way the Installer had done it.)

(Thanks to Apple for putting some nice info in various logs.)

Otherwise, smooth sailing! Definitely a must-have upgrade, especially considering the price and what it sets up for the near future.

No comments: